Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women
All women experience menopause, either when they stop having periods or if their ovaries are surgically removed. But waiting until menopause is in full swing to begin bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) can cause unnecessary suffering. At Freedom Healthcare, we address hormone deficiencies for Utah women as they approach menopause (also known as perimenopause) and continue to reevaluate their needs as they progress through menopause.
What Happens During Menopause?
The most common signs of menopause—many of which can be felt before entering menopause—can include the following:
- Hot and cold flashes
- Night sweats
- Mood swings, increased irritability, depression and anxiety
- Concentration or memory issues (linked to loss of sleep and hormonal changes)
- Decreased sex drive and function including vaginal dryness and pain
Over the course of a year or so after beginning menopause, your estrogen levels continue to fall. Low estrogen is related to various health problems such as:
- Bone Loss – Low estrogen levels speed up bone loss, which increases your risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Skin Changes – Low estrogen leads to lower collagen levels, a key component of skin and connective tissue. During and after menopause, women typically have thinner, more dry and more wrinkled skin. This includes the vaginal lining and lower urinary tract, which also begin to thin and weaken. This can make sex difficult and unpleasant and can also increase your risk of vaginal and urinary tract infections.
- Changes in Teeth and Gums – Low estrogen levels affect connective tissue. This can increase your risk of developing gum disease and even losing teeth.
Bioidentical Estrogen Can Help You Feel Young Again
Traditional hormone replacement therapy only treats the symptoms of menopause, with little effect on all of the body’s systems. BHRT uses hormones that function exactly like the hormones our bodies naturally produce, creating harmony and cooperation throughout our bodies. And because BHRT hormones fit our receptor sites exactly, they avoid the harmful side effects of other traditional hormone therapies.
At Freedom Healthcare, we help Utah women who are suffering from menopause by tailoring a hormone replacement program that matches their body’s natural hormones. With a simple blood draw and a few other non-invasive tests, we determine which hormones you’re lacking and how much you need of each. Our doctors then create a custom BHRT regimen to match your body’s natural hormone needs. BHRT relieves your menopausal symptoms, helping you to feel healthy and young again!
Some of the main benefits associated with each type of BHRT hormones are:
- Estrogen: The main benefits of estrogen replacement therapy are all associated with reducing the symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes, vaginal dryness, discomfort with intercourse, and mental health issues like depression and anxiety. BHRT estrogen treatments also increase bone density, which staves off osteoporosis.
- Progesterone: Because the lining of the uterus is sensitive to stimulation from estrogen replacement therapy, progesterone is often used alongside it to reduce these effects. Progesterone protects the lining of the uterus, leaving the estrogen to do its good work elsewhere. Progesterone also corrects mood disorders brought on by hormone reduction, and lowers HDL cholesterol.
- Testosterone in Women: Only a small dose of testosterone replacement is needed to restore women to their natural levels, but it packs a big punch! In women, testosterone increases sex drive, and maintains the health and sensitivity of vaginal tissues. It also reduces depression, increases bone density, and maintains lean muscle mass.
- DHEA: Boosts the production of the body’s white blood cells that are used to fight diseases of every kind. This results in a powerhouse of an immune system that can better fight cancer, lupus, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, and many other diseases. DHEA also delays the onset of these illnesses as it reduces the signs of aging. DHEA is also responsible for increased bone density, and an increase in lean muscle mass.
- Melatonin: Commonly used to regulate sleep patterns, we at Freedom Healthcare believe that melatonin is capable of so much more than that. Our research supports the idea that melatonin plays an important role in all of our biorhythms, including that of aging, We believe that melatonin can extend your life expectancy, and keep you much healthier along the way. Melatonin also fights cancer, because it’s a strong antioxidant.
- Thyroid: Thyroid disease and deficiencies are very common, especially in people over 65. The good news is that these conditions are very easily treatable with BHRT. Replacing essential hormones produced by the thyroid help to stimulate weight loss, decrease fatigue, keep the skin healthy, and improve reflexes.
Read More about Hormone Treatment on our Hormone FAQ